Wednesday 13 July 2016

Behind Pokemon Go and find something better to do with your life

Let's face it, Pokemon Go was an overnight success. Granted, it took years of preparation and months of hyping prior to launch to make it the overnight success that it is. Bearing the brand Pokemon helps a lot as well.


For those who have no idea what Pokemon Go is, you must be living under a rock, or have no access to social media. And I don't think too hardly on you for that. TL;DR, you play a normal Pokemon game, except with a GPS and in the real world, and you beat gyms and collect them all, to be one in a million of very best trainers.

Gameplay mechanics remind me a lot of Ingress, a mobile game released a few years ago with similar principles. It's basically capture the point found in most multiplayer games, except these points are in real life, there are many points, and it is played in a map view like below:


Same concept, you get people to walk around their neighbourhood to complete tasks which gives you levels which gives you more reason to walk around. You join a team, which motivates each member to walk around some more, and hopefully obesity can be reduced.

I tried this game in my first year, but it was draining my battery and data, and I had no friends ;( ... playing this game. Granted this is still a very popular game, but just didn't interest me. Pokemon Go will also drain my data and battery, but I think I will play it because... POKEMON :D

I do not have a data plan in Malaysia, so I won't be able to play until I return to the UK, where I will start my journey amongst level 50 veterans. But at least there will be strategy guides. So the arrival of Pokemon Go to Asia won't really affect me... yet. Although it would provide entertainment in terms of people watching. MORE PHONE ZOMBIES!



What's intriguing about this game is the apparent pure addiction this game has launched many people into. You get news about people stopping their cars in the middle of the road or congregating around some poor soul's house to catch Pokemon. Because you have to be the very best, no matter what it takes. Ever since 1996, it was some kids' dream to catch Pokemon in real life, and now that the chance presents itself, who could resist? Even I'm itching to get in on the action.

As a hardcore casual gamer myself, I understand the addictionist-completionist nature which would propel people to insane lengths to geddem all. Just check my Cookie Clicker. (Please don't click that. It sucks your soul.) On the other hand, I am a lazy sack of nuts, and if the weather looks slightly dark outside, I won't go out. And it gets pretty dark often in London. 

And honestly, I find it stupid. The whole point is to make people healthier by walking, but you get a whole group of people to look at their phone all the time. Sure, you make a community of gamers, but is this the society you want? A segregation of gamers and non-gamers on the same road? But I exaggerate. I just hope people look where they are going, and take care about the time spent on Pokemon hunting/farming. Don't forget to eat, sleep, and talk to your loved ones.

But I can, nay, I will get pretty addicted once I return. Even I don't know what I would do once I am a Pokemon trainer. I can only hope that I won't end up doing crazy things like midnight expeditions, getting lured into a mug spot or attaching my phone to a cat to hatch an egg.

But I might. Who knows. I have to be the very best innit?



Cya at the Gym. The Pokemon Gym.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete