Monday 15 July 2013

Behind Work Lag

lag       : Fall behind in movement, progress, or development; not keep pace with another or others.

jet lag  : Extreme tiredness and other physical effects felt by a person after a long flight across several time                     zones.

work lag : Fall behind in the progress of a project by various factors such that postponement becomes                                 inevitable and deadlines cannot be followed.

I hate work lag. That's my own term by the way.

I mean, good grief. I'm working on this yearbook for three months now? I ask for pictures, and I get no reply, or a reply that goes along the line of "I dunno, maybe you can ask so-and-so for pictures..."

I need results. This yearbook is for you. How do I do graphic design on the book if I don't get pictures?

But that is just me ranting. Back to work lag. Work does't get finished because of work lag. Work lag occurs because:

1) Problem Upstream


Which is the problem I'm having now. As an article graphic designer, I cannot do my work without the article (of course) and the pictures to furnish it with. I've been sending messages, calling, and patiently waiting, and yet most of my pictures come from the Head Ed herself, who of course is rushing all of us for the deadline. Meanwhile, other sources remain elusive, ie simply do not reply my messages. 

Shows the difference between efficiency of the team and individual efficiency, eh? 

2) Malaysian Timing

Malaysians are never on time is the sad truth. The first guy is late by a day, the second guy is late by another day, and so on and so forth, until there is a backlog of work lag. Enough said.

3) Procrastination

Very common. Finding pictures is a kind of work. There are many more things funner than work/There is another work more important than this. Therefore, the insignificant task of finding your pictures can be done tomorrow, provided no other pressing matters pop-up by then.

4) General Blurness

Example:

What, I'm supposed to find you pictures? No one told me that?

OR

Huhuhu, deadline's yesterday? Totally forgot, sorry.

OR

Sorry, I don't know, maybe you can ask so-and-so for pictures...


Sometimes I fear I may be guilty of the 4th one. But even so, I wouldn't know, due to general blurness.

I just wanna get it over with.

Time to work. Cya.

No comments:

Post a Comment