Wednesday 27 May 2015

Behind Becoming Stronger

Do we need a reason to continuously improve ourselves?

Perhaps I have been watching too many animes and movies, but it seems that the usual archetype of the character wanting to become stronger usually has a reason to it. It could be an event in the past, such as the loss of something due to what he might consider as self-incompetence. It could be an expected event in the future, such as winning a kung fu/karate tournament. Or the reason could even be in the present, such as a promise to one who is dear.

But is it possible to want to become stronger just for the sake of becoming stronger?

I wonder sometimes why improving oneself is not an intrinsic nature of the human. I mean, we constantly churn out new and improved versions of our gadgets, almost on a daily basis. But it's only the things we use, not ourselves per se. And even then, not every human participates in the improvings, only a few who are well versed in engineering usually involve themselves. Perhaps we can consider genetic engineering... But that is beside the point.

Perhaps that's why humans can progress. Some can improve all, so that the work of all is improved, for the sake of everyone.

But I would like to think for myself, and be selfish while I still can. While I have the time, I would like to invest in myself. Why? I don't know.

Just in case?
To become fitter?
To impress someone?
To beat someone?
To avenge the death of the family fishes?
To be better than my past?

I don't know. So until the reason presents itself, I will try and become stronger.

Cya.

1 comment:

  1. 1. It's been bugging me - is being selfish wrong? Why is there a knee-jerk reaction to accuse, when one is to be selfish?
    2. I think most people want to better themselves for the sake of bettering themselves, no? Disagree that it isn't an intrinsic nature of humans haha.

    ReplyDelete