Tuesday 5 May 2015

Behind Busy Emptiness

This post was originally going to be a story about the DRESS, but I didn't have time for that and now it's no longer relevant.

Ah well.

As like most times, this blog has been temporarily neglected in favor of exams. Again. I'm sorry :(

Now that the big ones are over though, I will try to write more. It has been a while though.

Anyways.....

*   *   *

I wouldn't say that I am a huge fan of travelling. I know some people live for it; the thrill of being a foreigner in a foreign land. I know some people would rather sit at home in comfort; resting to prepare for the long journey ahead. I consider myself an in-betweener. Not someone who couldn't decide on what he likes, but rather one who enjoys the little things of both worlds.

But it seems that around me, the travelers are typically international students studying in the UK; hardly anyone local seem to travel abroad. Maybe it's because the local students are busy spending their break at home with their family. And also because since we're all in Europe, far away from our home back in Malaysia, we might as well take the opportunity to travel to neighboring countries and see what we could see.

Since I'm still young (ahem) and brimming with energy (ahemahem), I feel that it would be good for me to travel as well, to places only heard of in books and the Internetz.

But seriously though. If you think about it, what really is the point of travelling? Many people seem to make it a point on going to as many, if not all, countries in the world, as if a decorated passport is a badge of honour that must be obtained.

Think about it.
You don't get any new skills.
You rarely pick up the native language. (Over half of all countries speak English.)
You don't get money. (You lose quite a bit.)


Gotta catch my flight

But ask anybody who has been travelling, and they will say that it was the best thing that ever happened to them. And it's hard to see why not.

I like to call myself a seasoned traveler, but I have only been a tourist in the must-go places of the countries I've been to. Does it count?

But I've enjoyed every minute of my travels, regardless of what I've written above. It's just the experience of something that you don't really get in your home or study country. And sharing that experience with people you love, no matter your family or our friends, is something special that has no substitute.

Everything is just so new and weird. I like it. And as tourists, it wouldn't get old as we will return when the magic is still in the air. Or in the camera, depending on what kind of tourist you are.

It was never about practicality. It has always been about the magic, of which simple logic does not apply.

What one may expect to see in a new country.
Credits to Alice Tang

Poof. Aaaaaand there's class tomorrow. Sigh. This post seems kinda short to me, but now that exams are over, I'll try to write just a bit more.

Cya real soon!

Oh, and Happy birthday Mom!



1 comment: