Tuesday 11 August 2015

Behind An Animal's Malice to Alice

Literally every animal in that book was bullying Alice. Either they were all species-ist, Alice really offended everyone, or those drugs really did not agree with her.

And we all sympathise with Alice, because she is a main character, because she is pretty much the only human in the book, and because she is the *seemingly* sane person in an insane world.

Except I got it all figured out. The world's insane, I'm insane, everything is alright.

But now people seems to be very sympathetic with a non-human in Zimbabwe. Well, was a non-human anyway.

I am of course talking about Cecil the lion. Requiescant in pace.

You're... afraid of me?

It is a shame to hear about the death of one known as a friend to many people, especially across races. This fact is a little bit of good news in this tragedy. It's also very heartening to know that the whole of humankind still stands up against the face of the bullying of the harmless Alice, especially if no other humans share the same race as him/her.

Of course, there are still some who consider the act of sadness over Cecil's death and the subsequent #MurdererDentist hullabaloo to be as senseless as the looking glass. The argument goes that why are people making such a big fuss over the death of one measly lion when, everyday, big game hunting happens across the world, and humans are performing atrocities way worse than death upon their own kind. What can be worse than death? Well, the destruction of a race, a future, a nation, a culture.... You name it, someone is probably equipped to destroy it.

But you know what I see from all this? I say all this is happening because Cecil is a celebrity.

"Dad? Wake up, you're famous now! Dad? Dad, please answer me!"

....that was too soon, wasn't it?

Let's face it, this phenomena happens even to humans.
Van Gogh didn't make money from his paintings until he died.
Micheal Jackson suddenly wasn't creepy anymore and sold a lot more albums when he died.
Steve Jobs is still honoured as a tech god even though half of the Internet thought of him as a thief.
And there's a whole lot of celebrities I only know existed because of their obit, and I bet there will be a lot more to come for me and the generations to come.
But still I pray. Requiescant in pace.

And the same thing is happening with Cecil right now. A month ago, I didn't know who Cecil was. And now, I don't know anyone who doesn't know Cecil. It's like I entered a rabbit hole to a world where Cecil is adored and praised.

Or it's just the plain fact that the Internet is too powerful. More powerful than the drugs Alice was on.

Now don't get me wrong. I am absolutely against any kind of game hunting, big or small, and to be honest am still in an ethical debate with regards to farming.

But really, this has been blown out of proportion. There are murders! Fraud! Robberies! Murder robberies! A fraudulent robbery to cover up a murder! Elections! Political murders!

Or maybe I'm just subscribed to the people who cares about this sort of thing.

Sigh. That's the thing about human kind. We are bound more easily by hate than by love. I hate this sort of thought. Don't you agree? I need some tea to drown this madness.

But when all is said and done, we all still mourn the lost of a life known by many.

Requiescant in pace, Cecil. Maybe in my dreams I can cya, and you can tell me what you think?












Let us remember that other things are happening too!
Happy 50th Independence Day Singapore!




No comments:

Post a Comment