Monday 31 August 2015

Behind Unity and Hope

To all my fellow Malaysians,

Happy 58th Independence Day!

As a kid born in the nineties, I will admit that I do not know first hand the struggles of the people leading up to the liberation of the country from the British colonist. I also do not know the change in the life of an average person before and after Merdeka.

What I do know, however, is that every race banded together and promised the colonists everlasting muhibbah in order to win that independence. And the only way we can progress as a nation is using that same mindset.

I know some of us may think differently. Some may think that certain individuals are blocking the way ahead to a better future, and are better off off the office and the pages of history. Some may think that putting aside differences means yielding to those of other colours and beliefs, and will stop at nothing to stop it. Some believe that violence will lead to a better future, some are skeptical, some are dead against it. Some think it will be better as long as everything is unchanged.

I don't know who is right. But if anything really happens, I really do hope that everyone will be left.

Despite its flaws, I love this country. I love the people. I love the mixture of food of which may or may not lead to abdominal discomfort. I love sitting in air conditioning and complaining about the rain/sun. I love waking up to a cup of milo or teh tarik every morning.

I guess I just love my home, and I want only the best for it.

Only I can't see a way forward now that doesn't involve pissing off a substantial group of the population. If it was that easy, the country will be heaven.

But it's not, and I honestly don't know what to do.

I can only be thankful for what has been done for, to and by this country, and pray to any god you believe in for further peace and unity.

Only then will the path reveal itself.

Probably.

Cya in a colour-blind future!

No comments:

Post a Comment